Flash Player 10.2 beta out now – Stage Video rocks !
Adobe is happy to announce a beta release of Flash Player 10.2 for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is now available for download on Adobe Labs. Flash Player 10.2 beta introduces a number of enhancements , including Stage Video, a new API that delivers best-in-class, high performance video playback across platforms. The new beta also includes Internet Explorer 9 hardware acceleration support previewed earlier (in Flash Player “Square”), enhanced text rendering, and two popular requests from the community: a native custom mouse cursors API and support for full screen playback with multiple monitors.
The video about Stage Video during Adobe MAX a few weeks ago:
Just to let you understand why this update is really important…
Facts and Figures about the Flash Player for the web and mobile :
- 75% of all video on the web is viewed with Flash Player.
- Flash Player is on 99% of all connected PCs.
- 85 % of 100 top websites use Flash
- 95% of top 20 phone OEMs will deliver Flash
I saw it myself at Adobe MAX during the sneak peaks and it was really amazing to see such a performance update. Now it is already available for everybody to play with. To summarize stage Video stands for:
- smoothest, highest quality, seamless video
- lowest CPU usage, longest battery life
- optimized for multi-screen: PC, smartphone, tablet, television
- reaching also out to low-end PC devices
- API compatible with Flash Player 10.X
- no changes needed beyond updated SWF and wmode
Stage Video is already used on AIR for TV and Google TV and is a new way to present video to users. I encourage everybody to use StageVideo from now on
Linking and liking:
Read the blog post about FP 10.2 by Thibault Imbert about it.
Get it here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/
Tutorial: Getting started with StageVideo on Adobe Developer Connection